About Geauga Park District
The quality of life in Geauga County is inextricably linked to clean air, clean water and open space.
The same natural features that attracted westward-bound pioneers continue to exist in parts of the County today, making the area equally attractive to homeowners seeking a haven from the pressures of the modern world.
Since 1961, Geauga Park District has worked to ensure that the most delicate ecosystems and the best park sites in the region remain protected from development while providing county residents the opportunity to enjoy the out-of-doors in a safe and wholesome atmosphere.
As early as 1959, members of Geauga County's League of Women Voters and local garden clubs were concerned about the increasing rate of new construction in the area. If residents wanted to conserve the region's natural areas and provide protected habitat for its native plants and animals, the time had come.
Encouraged by the success of nearby Cleveland Metroparks, League members created a park committee to study the needs of the county and the possibility of establishing a park district of our own.
Geauga Park District was established in August 1961 under authority of Chapter 1545 of the Ohio Revised Code by Probate Judge Robert B. Ford. The first interpretive programs, a series of bird walks at Punderson State Park, were held in 1962; the 4-acre Woodin Road Park became the first park operated by the fledgling Park District in 1964.
Since that time, Geauga Park District has grown steadily. From woodlands to wetlands, meadows and gently burbling streams, Geauga Park District now manages more than 10,000 acres in 19 open parks, other preserves and future parks.
These reservations are usually large undeveloped tracts of land devoted to conserving and preserving the forests, grasslands, marshes, geological features, rivers, lakes and ponds of the county; all are populated with abundant wildlife. Prime consideration is given to protecting natural aesthetic values and scenic landscapes.
Amenities are provided on a small percentage of the land for passive recreational use, providing the opportunity for residents to enjoy the natural resources of the parks without diminishing their quality for future visitors. Hikers appreciate Geauga Park District's extensive network of trails, enabling visitors to learn more about native plant and animal life. Programs offered by Geauga Park District are designed to increase the public's knowledge of the natural and cultural heritage of the county.
Throughout its history, Geauga Park District has remained committed to preserving the natural beauty of this corner of the Western Reserve. With the combined efforts of local residents and conservationists, these lands will remain as natural treasures for generations to come.
The mission of Geauga Park District is to preserve, conserve and protect the natural features of Geauga County and to provide outdoor recreational experiences to our residents of every age, every ability and at all times of the year.